Latherings Forum Index Latherings
brought to you by Dianna's Sugar Plum Sundries

Looking for a place to talk soap, network, ask questions, discover recipes and tips, or brag on your latest soaping adventure? You will find it, and much more, here at Latherings! Are you looking for quality supplies? We would like to be your One-Stop-Shop for everything you need to make your special handmade products!

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Kaleb's HP Oat-N-Honey Castile.......
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corrine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Kaleb's HP Oat-N-Honey Castile....... Reply with quote

Bunny, I hope you don't mind but as we've been talking about it on other threads, I'm taking the liberty of posting your recipe again here. And this is exactly as you wrote it - "mashed taters" and all! lol

IMHO, this has to be THE best castile recipe ever and all thanks must go to Bunny for sharing it with us:

Quote:
Kaleb's HP Oat-N-Honey Castile
(great for crock pot HP)

32 oz. olive oil (not pomace)
3 oz. castor oil
4.50 oz. lye (about 5% superfatting)
12 oz. water

Add your oils to the preheating crock pot. Go ahead and dissolve your lye in the water. After the lye is fully dissolved, go ahead and add it to the oils. Stick blend to thick trace. Turn the crock up on 'high' and cover with a lid.

Check on the soap about every 10 minutes and stir well. Recover with lid.

After the soap has gone through the separation stage, then has gone through the rising up and turning in on itself stage (and looks like a cross between veseline and mashed taters) go ahead and do the knife test: stick a clean dry butter knife into the soap... if the soap looks waxy, go ahead and do a tongue test... if it still zaps, add an additional 1 teaspoon more of olive oil, stir it well and let it cook for about another two minutes.

Next: add the following:
3 tablespoons honey

Stir the honey into the cooking soap. It should immediately start to change colors, and will ultimately turn dark. It should sizzle a bit. Go ahead and turn off the crock.

Next: add the following:

3 tablespoons oat flour, mixed with about 3 or 4 tablespoons cold water to get all the lumps out (use your fingers to feel-out all the lumps).

Stir-in the oat flour mixture VERY WELL. Now you can go ahead and mold-up the soap. This amount of soap will fill a quart milk carton and a pint (half quart) milk carton.

I sometimes use a bit of canned goatmilk instead of the water to mix with my oatflour - just to ring the change.

Corrine
zyggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a crock pot now. Never had one. I thought about buying one at a thrift store, but don't know if they work properly.
Corrine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z - I use a double boiler with a good fitting lid.

My crock is a little on the small side and the pot itself doesn't lift out of the base so I had a few issues (not with this recipe) with carryover cooking.

...c.
Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied this one down as well...I do have a crockpot, so I'll give it a whirl soon too =)
winter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks C and of course to Bunny....still don't know how I ever missed this one......

Going to do it NOW!!!!!! O! Yes this couldn't have worked out better, it's veggie and my customer wants that, plus she is about as allergic as they come poor thing.

Going to do it in the oven....

Winter
Monique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great recipe. The soap has a nice silky lather to it and it smells to die for. Sweet and homey. Makes me stand in the shower sniffing it until all the hot water runs out! It's definitely worth investing in a crockpot for this one.

Monique
zyggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how come hp is ready in a week while cp is ready in a month? Also how come the hp is so gloppy, and not loose like cp?
maltesima

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta question.....how come you shouldn't use pomace?
Love 2 Craft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Bunny will pop in to explain her reasoning, but I have read that the pomace grade is actually extracted through using a powerful chemical called hexane, and that trace amounts of it could be left behind in the oil. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but that is why some soapers refuse to use pomace grade.

“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
daniel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably find that the hexane will completely disappear when a bit of heat is applied. Also, it is used for cooking and will therefore be safe. Someone is smoking their socks, me thinks.

Daniel
maltesima

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:
You'll probably find that the hexane will completely disappear when a bit of heat is applied. Also, it is used for cooking and will therefore be safe. Someone is smoking their socks, me thinks.

Daniel

That is very interesting, indeed. Thanks Daniel! Very Happy

Carol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything goes right, I plan on making this recipe this weekend. I have never HP'd.....can you put this soap in a fancy mold? Or should I just stick with my log mold?

Very Happy carol
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Milky Way acorn mold.
winter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can Carol, but the back of your soap may be a little rustic looking. HP soap has the appearance of re-batched soap. Bunnies recipe though produces a not to dry and thick medium to work with, very nice.

Small molds I would slightly over fill mold to trim back after hardening, but only if it was a gift or sale. For close friends and family, just glop in mold let harden. Place in freezer an hour or two un-mold, cure to allow the soap to harden well, and then use.

Winter
Carol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great Winter....I will try the overfill and trim. But if it is not perfect it's ok. Just for me and friends, but would like an acorn sitting in my bathroom soap dish!! I am very curious about this HPing. Looking forward to the experience.

Well, I just got my Saturday soapmaking taken away. Husband is bored and wants to go shopping and spend the day out and about. But its a good thing, as the main thing we are going to shop for is a new freezer. I think he is forgetting that the only thing I had in the old one was soap oils and not much else!!!

Thanks Winter... Wink

Very Happy carol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Latherings Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: